Straight from the South Seas

Straight from the South Seas
Retired Expat living the Philippines

Augustus Summerfield Merrimon

This Blog is dedicated to my great-great-grand uncle who was a Democratic US Senator from the state of North Carolina between 1873 and 1879.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Why can't we remember being born?

Shouldn't it be the most memorable day of our existence? Leaving the womb and opening our eyes to the first time to experience a strange new world and we remember nothing? Freud called it infantile amnesia and now it is more commonly referred to as childhood amnesia. There are a number of theories when it comes to why we forget and this article does a great job of exploring them. Why do we forget?

Freud proposed that people use it as a means of repressing traumatic, and often sexual, urgings during that time. To block those unconscious drives of the id, Freud claimed that humans create screen memories, or revised versions of events, to protect the conscious ego.

Whats even more fascinating is that some researchers are suggesting that infants have no sense of self or separateness from their external world until 16-24 months. So that means all babies are enlightened little Buddhas' with no sense of separateness from the infinity. They are born connected to everything around them and their sense of self isn't formed until their parents start teaching them their name and they begin to recognize their bodies as separate from everything else. This article raised many questions for me and really got me thinking. I always told my parents I could remember my life after being born. I could describe them perfectly the hosiptal I was born in.

No comments:

Post a Comment